Sometimes admittedly it takes awhile to get started. Thinking of a subject for my own blog has been a long time coming. I love the concept, love the ability to share opinions and ideas on various subjects. It is especially the vast sharing of thought that blows my mind as it comes through the most incredible means of communication, the Internet. Yet for years I sat on the outside looking in, as a blog voyeur, reading and absorbing, and never sharing back. Perhaps falsely believing that until now I was never able to properly capture what to me would be a personally sustainable blog.
And then it hit me, and it all came together. I read a book recommended to me by my boss, who in turn had received the recommendation from one of our customer’s. I immediately took the recommendation since I read a lot and am always excited to take suggestions. However, what intrigued me was that my boss, who also reads extensively, was so taken by the book that she put out a challenge to her entire department to read and discuss the book with her to gain an extra vacation day before the end of the year. Now I would have read the book anyway, (thanks for the extra day of vacation Kris!) but I had to know what was so compelling in the book that she wanted everyone to share in it’s knowledge. So I picked it up and jumped it ahead of the pile of about 30 books waiting patiently next to my bed waiting to be read. And then the light bulb went on…
After reading my next entry which is also my first book review it will become apparent as to what I am talking about, and why. However, my own blog is born, and I have finally found an organized place to channel, review, reflect, interpret and discuss the concepts I learn from reading various management, leadership, personal growth, economic and numerous other business books. After graduate school it was important for me to continue learning and now 2 years out I miss the interaction and sharing that an academic environment provides. Too often I now find myself reading only to forget the main thoughts of a book because I haven’t been reviewing them the way I was forced to in school. By putting my opinions and book reviews into a blog I will now easily be able to personally reference as well as share these thoughts and ideas with my own growing network.
So you ask, what’s love got to do with it? – The book that changed my blog life is Love is the Killer App by Tim Sanders.
2 comments:
Hey Regan,
On the topics of business writers, Peter Drucker died November 11.
- Gerard
That is sad indeed. The business writing world will not be the same. I am going to go dig up some of his stuff to review asap.
Post a Comment